Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough, Dolby Atmos®, and Chromecast built-in for audio
About the Sony HT-ST5000
Sensibly sized bar with over-the-top Atmos sound
Three-dimensional Dolby Atmos sound can make your shows and movies sound downright riveting. But a bunch of extra gear in the TV room, including overhead speakers? That just doesn’t work for everyone. The Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar is an easy-to-set-up system that fits in most rooms — and it can still bring the Atmos “wow” factor.
Other companies have used extra-large sound bars or separate surround speakers to accomplish Atmos sound. Those solutions are certainly more space-friendly than a full home theater setup. Still, I appreciate that Sony has kept the HT-ST5000’s dimensions more in line with the average bar-and-sub combo.
Just how smart is Sony’s use of space?
Sony employs an array of nine angled drivers, plus a separate wireless sub to tackle the low-end boom. They place the front drivers deep into the cabinet, so they can make them as large as possible. Each of the dedicated left, right, and center-channel drivers has a two-way coaxial design. That means there’s a tweeter and a woofer in the same speaker – giving you full-range sound for the entire front stage.
Two hidden drivers are positioned on top of the sound bar so they can propel sound off your ceiling. This heightens the soundstage and takes advantage of Atmos’ realistic overhead effects — like a helicopter flyover or heavy downpour — without using extra speakers.
Many ways to connect
The Sony HT-ST5000 also plays nice with the latest 4K TVs, Ultra-HD Blu-ray players, and Roku 4K devices. You can hook up several components directly to the sound bar thanks to three HDMI inputs and one output. All are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting 4K video sources — including those with HDR (high dynamic range). There’s also an optical digital audio and a 3.5mm minijack input.
“Hey Google, play Clapton in the living room”
In the near future, we might control all of our music by voice command. The Sony HT-ST5000 is ahead of the curve. It’s compatible with the Google Home voice assistant. This combination gives you hands-free control over the music playing through the sound bar.
The two devices communicate over your Wi-Fi network via the sound bar’s Chromecast built-in for audio feature. You can give the the sound bar a name, like “living room,” so that voice commands are more natural. Then say “OK Google, play my party mix in the living room,” and you’ll hear your playlist through the HT-ST5000’s powerful driver array.
Lots of music choices
Chromecast built-in lets you stream music from Pandora®, Spotify®, Google Play, and more. You can control them through Google Home or on your phone.
There’s also Bluetooth built in, so guests can easily pair up and play tunes wirelessly. And the side USB port will accept a thumb drive full of music — including high-resolution downloads.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The HT-ST5000 is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you’ll enjoy.
- sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- delivers 7.1.2-channel sound with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X
- Atmos and DTS:X offer heightened, three-dimensional soundstage
- allows pass-through of 4K and HDR content
- supports HDR10 format and Dolby Vision™
- works with Google Home voice controller
- gives you voice control over music features and volume
- 9 built-in speakers
- two up-firing drivers are angled to reflect sound off the ceiling for overhead Atmos effects
- two-way coaxial left, right, and center speakers (woofer and tweeter inside each speaker)
- four long-throw speakers for simulated surround sound
- 12-channel amplifier
- built-in Dolby® decoding, including Dolby TrueHD
- built-in Dolby Atmos decoding
- DTS, DTS-HD, DTS:X are available through a firmware update.
- Sony’s S-Force® PRO Front Surround technology offers an immersive listening experience
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- 46-1/2″W x 3-1/4″H x 5-3/4″D
- weight: 19.4 lbs.
Wireless Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for music streaming and wireless multi-room audio with compatible Sony speakers (sold separately)
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- supported apps include Pandora, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music, TIDAL, and TuneIn radio
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, FLAC, HRA, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, and DSD files
- high-resolution music files play via USB
- DSEE HX and ClearAudio+ sound modes for restoring compressed music
- free downloadable Sony SongPal app (available from iTunes Store and Google Play) helps connect the sound bar to your wireless network and controls music playback, and volume
- also gives you control over other compatible Sony speakers as part of a multi-room music system
- Spotify Connect lets you stream Spotify through the sound bar, controlled by your phone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming to and from compatible sources
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for flexible placement options
- front-firing 6-1/2″ cone woofer
- built-in amplifier
- AC power required, cord included
- subwoofer tone and volume controls (via remote) to customize bass response
- 9-13/16″W x 15-7/8″H x 16-11/16″D
- weight: 32 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output
- HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
- HDMI connections support 4K/HDR video, Audio Return Channel, and HDMI-CEC
- support for eARC with firmware update
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- USB port for connecting a thumb drive or external hard drive for music
- 3.5mm analog minijack aux input
- Ethernet jack for connection to a wired home network
- total system power: 800 watts
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HTST5000